No matter whether you want to improve your old garden or just seed the new one, you still require the best lawn spreader as your helper. This tool saves you from hours of hard work, and all you have to do is to upload it with the fertilizer or seeds of the lawn inside the machine and run it. If the fertilizer you are using contains chemicals, spreading it manually is not an option at all. There are multiple tools on the market, and you may need help to find the one you truly require among the best broadcast lawn spreaders reviews.
Think about the advantages you need the most, like the motor, the area you want to cover in one attempt, and the price you can pay. Pick the type of spreader and the features you need. With my detailed guidance, you will find a lawn and garden fertilizer spreader in no time.
5 Best Lawn Spreaders
- Scotts 76121 Turf Builder EdgeGuard Mini Broadcast Spreader – Top Pick
- Scotts Elite Spreader – Best Fertilizer Spreader
- Scotts 76565 Turf Builder Classic Drop Spreader – Best Drop Spreader
- Agri-Fab 45-0463 130-Pound Tow Behind Broadcast Spreader – Best Broadcast Spreader
- Earthway 2050TP Estate – Best Topsoil Spreader
I have gathered versatile models of lawn spreaders that I consider the best here. You may find tow behind lawn spreader reviews, classic drops, broadcast tools. Read the reviews and pay attention to the features they offer.
1. Scotts EdgeGuard Turf Builder – Best Push Lawn Spreader
This device is my personal top pick mainly because of its advanced features and affordable price. You can pick the same model in the mini size, drop, deluxe, or elite types. The price of the model varies. You can use it on the driveways, landscaping, and sidewalks. It comes with a fold-down handle, which is already pre-calibrated. You may use this tool for salting as well.
Scotts is a well-known American-based developer of garden tools. This time, they offer to handle your lawn of 5000 square feet with the best price lawn spreader on the list. It has exclusive edge guard technology from Scotts. The accurate coverage is available due to the control panel stuffed with the rate settings.
- Comfortable in use;
- Covers 5,000 sq ft;
- Affordable price.
- Mini size.
2. Scotts Elite – Best Fertilizer Spreader of Dual Rotor
The elite lawn spreader makes your life easier by dealing with 20,000 square feet area with ease. You can spread not only fertilizer but salt and grass seed as well. The spread pattern is 6 ft and extremely accurate due to the dual rotor.
The Scotts company is already a legend in the USA and around the world. This time they offer their customers the best rated lawn spreader of high durability. Mine is several years old, and it has survived constant use. The handle is ergonomic. The tires are never-flat and made of high-quality plastic.
- Unique technology;
- Covers 20,000 sq ft;
- 6 ft accuracy.
- Costs more than the mini version.
3. Scotts Classic – Best Drop Lawn Spreaders of Large Capacity
Heavy-duty frame and never-flat tires make this model durable and everlasting. The area of its action is 10,000 sq ft. You can use this potent machine to spread fertilizer or seed. There is a spread pattern of 11 inches that guarantees accuracy.
Scotts sells this machine already pre-calibrated and ready to use. I recommend fixing the handle to the size you really need before you start the work. It spreads the fertilizer evenly.
- Simple in use;
- Covers 10,000 sq ft;
- Affordable price.
- The wheels may be poorly attached to the machine.
4. Agri-Fab 45-0463 – Broadcast Small Lawn Spreader
This best broadcast spreader model is compact and easy to navigate. I recommend it to all my friends with lawn tractors and large lawns. It looks tiny, but it is a 130-pound capacity beast. The settings are controlled by a solid rod. You may change maneuvers sitting on the tractor. This machine has an enclosed gearbox with tapered gears.
Agri-Fab is the USA-based developer of garden tools. They claim that this spreader can cover 25,000 sq ft easily with just one fill. I totally agree with the statement. Besides, the 13 x 4 inches large tires help you move the spreader anywhere.
- 130-pound capacity;
- Covers 25,000 sq ft;
- Compatible with all lawn tractors.
- High price.
5. Earthway Estate – Best Topsoil Spreader
No products found.
It is made for the lawn tractors of any model and developers. You can easily attach it to this instrument and use it on topsoil. Even fertilization or seed spread is guaranteed by the specific ev-n-spred system offered by the developers. If you have a lawn tractor like me, forget about push lawn spreader models and enjoy the freedom and speed.
Earthway is an Indiana-based company that develops outdoor tools for professionals and amateurs. The best in this tool, in my opinion, are the big 10-inch tires, non-slippery, and perfect for any type of lawn. There is a 1900 cubic inch capacity for 80 pounds material.
- Compatible with lawn tractors;
- Solid tires for topsoil;
- Affordable price.
- May tip easily.
Lawn Spreader Buyer’s Guide
B002ZTK09UI hope you have found my reviews of the top-5 best lawn spreaders informative for you. If you still don’t know how to choose an automatic or motorized lawn spreader, this brief guide may be useful.
How to choose the best lawn spreader?
Forget about the quality of the product as all the machines from the list above are the leading ones on the market. Pay attention to the specific features of each lawn spreader. You may want to choose the instrument based on them.
- Type. There are 2 main types of spreaders: drop lawn spreaders and rotary or broadcast spreaders. Rotary lawn spreaders contain the rotating base that disperses seeds, pouring from the hopper. They spread the seeds or fertilizers to the sides and in front of the machine. A drop spreader is more accurate. It spreads the material you need in the exact place you choose.
- Coverage. The widest area that is covered is 25,000 sq ft by Agri-Fab 45-0463. On average, you don’t need more than 5,000 sq ft for your lawn unless you use it for big territories.
- Comfort. Walk behind lawn spreaders or attached to the lawn tractor models have their own benefits. Choose which one is more comfortable for you.
- Price. Depending on the size of the lawn spreader and its functions, the price varies. However, I don’t recommend overpaying. The minimal price is $50, and the maximum is $250.
How to use a lawn spreader?
Pay attention to the manual of the spreader you’ve chosen. Some of them can’t spread seeds or salt. Others are good for seeds only. There are universal tools that are capable of spreading seeds, fertilizer spreaders, and salt. Follow instructions:
- There is an exact number on the tool that reveals how many pounds of material you can put per 1,000 sq ft.
- Load the hopper;
- Attach the construction to the tractor or grab the handle;
- Walk from one corner of the lawn to another or drive the tractor. It is recommended to make parallel lines.
Lawn Spreader FAQ
If you still have some questions about lawn spreaders, read this section. It is very possible you find your answers there.
What is the best type of lawn spreader?
All the types of lawn spreaders are good. You may prefer a drop spreader for fertilizing specific areas and rotary spreaders to perform everything quickly. Walk-behind spreaders are good for small areas with hard-to-get territories. Attached to the tractor spreaders can easily fertilize big territories twice faster than you do it manually with the fertilizer of your choice.
Which is better, a drop spreader or a broadcast spreader?
They are both good. Depending on the functions you require and the accuracy you need to do it with, you may pick either broadcast or drop spreader. I have both of them for different cases and types of work.
Can you put grass seed in a spreader?
Yes, you can. All the lawn spreaders on my list can deal with both fertilizers and seeds easily. However, you have to make sure that the spreader you chose can work with seeds before you order it. You can also learn how to fertilize flowers properly before using the spreader.
Best Tool for Your Lawn
Since all the spreaders on my list are pretty affordable, I can recommend buying several of them. However, if you don’t have a tractor, you may need only manual instruments. There are three manuals and two machines’ driven.
They are different but still considered to be the best. If you are not sure which one to take, pay attention to the size of the lawn you have and to the capacity of the lawn spreader. Find out whether you need to spread fertilizer or something else. If you have used some of them, share your opinions in the comments below. Which one do you prefer to use? Which feature do you like the most?
Last update on 2021-05-06. The post includes Affiliate links. Images from Amazon Product Advertising API